I turn 50 years old on Dec. 21st, 2013…just 19 short days away, on the day the sun is farthest from the earth. How fitting.
To nail in the coffin lid of this reality, I received a membership invitation packet over the weekend from AARP. Yep. I am now poised to join an association of retired persons. The irony of this is that most people my age (advanced) won’t be able to retire anytime soon. Not at 65. Probably not at 70. Perhaps at 75.
If you think I’m so taken aback by this invitation or so distressed at my impending old-agedom, you don’t know me very well. Discounts on shit if I join? Sign me up. Ain’t too proud to take discounts.
On another unrelated front, I went out today to confront the wildlife around my country estate…and to let the pugs poop. I was confronted by one of the reasons I love living where I do. Bald eagles. In my backyard.
There. ‘Murica. Right in my backyard.
Meanwhile, whilst pugs distributed their feces randomly throughout the property, the emblem of St. Louis, the brightly colored (though dimly intelligenced) Cardinal sat on the side mirror of my car and pecked at his reflection in the mirror, all the while liberally shitting himself and my car. And he wonders why he is the loneliest Cardinal in St. Louis. I’d have taken a picture, but he was too fast for me.
Updates? Here we go:
- Two of my short stories, “Show Me” and “The Night Moves” have made it to the 2013 Horror Writers Association’s Stoker Award Reading List. Yippee!
- “Angie” in Ominous Realities out on Dec. 10, next week!
- Stop asking me about paperbacks for The Bell Witch. My publisher has chosen to go on silent running about this, and I have no idea. Grrrr….
- Similarly, I have no idea from said publisher about Kill/Off, either paperback or ebook. Grrrr….
- “The Skin Club” will be out in Beware of the Dark magazine sometime next year, don’t know when exactly.
- “Planting Robert” will be out in Big Pulp in March.
- I am stalled at about 48,000 words on my novel. Don’t look to make much progress between now and the end of the year, due to holidays, etc. Will get back on it in Jan.
- The super secret novella collection project I’m working on with industry guru R.J. Cavender, The End in All Beginnings, is nearly edited. R.J.’s been sick, which has delayed delivery of the manuscript back to me so I can make revisions, but this is what I will be working on this month.